Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Road Not Taken


One of my favorite poems has always been "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost.  The whole thing is truly beautiful but it is the end that gets me every time.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
I did not take the road less traveled.  I took the path that society was nudging me towards and tried to be joyful about the scenery.  For many years I lied about being happy, to everyone, and on many days, to myself.  I ignored the little voice in the pit of my soul telling me that I was on the wrong path.  And I continued on that road until the day that I physically couldn't make myself do it any longer.
I took a deep breath, and a sharp turn to the right.  It was terrifying.  The darkness that lay between the road behind me and the road I hoped was ahead.  I prayed for just a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel to give me peace that I was headed in the right direction still.  It was during that time that I came across this picture:





I sent it on to my best friend who promptly responded back that she would just go out and catch me some fireflies to light the way.  It was exactly what I needed to keep pressing on.  Two and a half years later I have made it through the woods, and found my new path.  It has not been easy but it has been so, so worth it.  I have made mistakes and followed detours, but these unexpected turns have left me to the life that was waiting around the bend. 
And life is good. 






No comments:

Post a Comment