Thursday, October 31, 2013

National Novel Writing Month

National Novel Writing Month is something I participate in every year.  It is a crazy, masochistic challenge intended to make you question your sanity for the first 27 days of the month until inspiration finally hits and you race towards the finish line, attempting to beat the clock.  And then it's over; if you managed to succeed in hitting the 50,000 word goal, an elation like you have never felt settles over you, seconds before sheer exhaustion.

The idea for this years book was actually something born out of a couple of cocktails and a great conversation with one of my very best friends.  Amazing how that booze will just let loose a torrent of ideas, isn't it???  None the less, throughout the course of the evening, the seed was planted and started to take root.  Over the last couple of months, I have been a little remiss in my blogging as I began to gather material for my novel.  Some of the research was done via the Internet and books, but the majority came from people around me who were kind enough to share their stories.  I am not sure if I am more enthused or just overwhelmed, but either way I'm ready to dig in.

As the house countdown to the kick-off at midnight tonight, I thought I'd break from the sea of index cards laid out in front of me to say hello and explain why I might be a little more absent in the next 30 days or so.  Unless it is going amazingly well and I am way ahead, in which case I will be coming on to share my excitement.  I hope that all 10 of you who read this will be patient with me - I promise to return battle scarred and elated no later than December 1st.

Until then...wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment