Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Luck of the Irish

Is there anything more charming & adorable than the innocence of a child?

Last night before we went to bed, Alaina informed me that we HAD to make a leprechaun trap.  Seeing as I have an unnatural love for St. Patricks day, I was a thousand percent down for this adventure.  She used a Kleenex box with a tissue over the top of the hole and put a shiny coin on top to lure him up there.  Her logic was that he would walk on the tissue to get the coin, fall down inside and be trapped.  I'm not gonna lie to you, I was pretty impressed with my five year old for thinking the whole thing through.  And she didn't even use Pinterest like her mama would have.

This morning she was so excited to check and see if she caught a leprechaun (which she was planning to keep as a pet, by the way.  I'm not sure she truly grasps the concept of the Irish faerie but I wasn't about to spoil it for her).  The glee on her face when the coin was missing almost made me feel guilty for what was coming next.  She lifted the tissue and her jaw dropped when she saw the empty box.

"He's not in there!" She frantically picked the box up and turned it over to shake it out.  "Mom.  It's empty.  There's nothing in there.  But he took the coin...(wheels are turning)...maybe he's hiding somewhere else!"  For the next 10 minutes she proceeded to check every nook and cranny she could think of downstairs but he was no where to be seen.  She even checked her backpack on the way to school.

My explanation of faerie magic and that he probably didn't want to be someone's pet fell on deaf ears.  I shutter to think of how many traps we are going to need to set next year...

Wishing you all the luck of the Irish today.  And should you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, feel free to send some back to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment