Friday, April 12, 2013

Guarding the Fortress

Many people talk about putting walls up to guard themselves.  I don't have walls defending my heart.  I have a fortress, surrounded by a moat, with another impenetrable wall on the outside of that.  Just for good measure, there's a fire breathing dragon to scorch anyone who might consider trying to scale those walls before they even get close.  There are but a precious few that have made it past the dragon and inside the wall; those that have, drowned long before they made it across the moat.  There have been a couple that came close and probably could have made the trek if I would have offered a life preserver.  But why would I want to do that?  If they can't figure out how to get across on their own, too bad.  Sorry!  Better luck with your next castle.

You can imagine my surprise when someone showed up who managed to make it past the dragon, easily swam the distance across the moat, politely knocked on the door of the fortress and asked to be let in.  My brain raced for a reason to say no, because I NEVER let people in my fortress.  But as hard as I tried, I could not come up with one reason, rational or otherwise that I shouldn't let her in.  So I opened the door.  And in she breezed as if she'd been there all her life.  This is great, she said.  I really, really like the entry way.  Now may I see the rest of the rooms?  One at a time of course, no need to rush.  But I do want to see them all eventually.

Again my brain raced with a reason to keep her exactly where she stood.  She was IN the fortress after all.  Wasn't that enough?  Was it really necessary to show her the rest of the rooms?  What next?  Then is she going to want free reign of the entire property?  As I stood with my head and heart warring, she patiently took me by the hand and started walking.  One step at a time we strolled into the first room.  Her thumb rubbed circles over the back of my hand and she murmured soft soothing words as she paused and looked around.  It's beautiful, she said.  Please tell me about it.  Her quiet encouragement was exactly what I needed.  I took a deep breath and started talking.  I find myself in an unexpected place of peace.  I want to wander all of the rooms with her and explore all the acres of beautiful land.  And for the first time in a long time, there's nothing guarding the fortress.

No comments:

Post a Comment